Finally, after what felt like years of coding, debate, brainstorming, etc. I got to launch a new feature (codenamed "Pickle Juice") to the whole site. The goal of the project was to improve the way that you browse deviantART. The first thing we decided to tackle was the fact that browsing through prints on the deviantART shop was quite literally painful. The interface was not intuitive at all. We have more than 6 million prints for sale here, so no matter what your taste in artwork you should be able to find something you like at a price that is in your budget. Deviation browsing got a little bit of the love that we put into the store (though we still need to make some changes to it before it will fully take advantage of the system that we built for the shop).
Another aspect of this project was to try to speed up the browsing experience. It is not the kind of feature that is immediately visible on the site, but I literally went through the code powering the browse line by line trying to squeeze every last millisecond out of it. The result is that our servers need to spend about 40% less time in order to deliver a page full of thumbs to you. To put this in perspective, every day we will spend about 1 MONTH less CPU time because of the improvements made to browse. This will hopefully not just make browsing faster, but it should also make the whole site a little bit faster because our servers will have less load in general.